Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

Better Drugs is better drugs

It was a better night last night, still feverish with mild chills but the main WTF symptoms were 90% gone. After I was done with work & dinner, I went to bed, around 7:30, slept till 11, when Kaan woke me up to play fetch. Seriously wanked sense of timing, kiddo. He only lasted three rounds and decided to switch to face-butting. It's  lot more affectionate than it sounds, and he turns his purr up about 12 dB.

Back to sleep, maybe three wake-ups, but the last one was a surprise. Both cats were on the bed most of that time. What woke me was hearing about rain making problems for traffic.  Huh? No rain here. Radio alarm is set to KOMO and they were seeing rain in Seattle. And it was 7:20. I had slept 20 minutes past the light going on and the alarm.

It took me a while to decide I was well enough for work, showered, took drugs, got dressed (pulled a shirt out of the laundry basket - maybe this weekend I'll hang up the rest of them), made a PNB&J sandwich to pack for breakfast and a banana and some other stuff.

Took a last trip to the loo, and the phone rang. My doctor is out this week, her backup was calling to follow up on my E. coli case, and said the antibiotic I was given was too weak and broad spectrum, so she sent a prescription for a better one to the pharmacy closest to work.

Got to work a little after 9, met with one of my team to show him what we were doing on the SNMP monitoring project, and sent him off to max out one of the test machines. 384 video streams, something like 60 programs with ads spliced into them at scheduled intervals, all of it mirrored.

Somewhere in there I drove to Kaiser, took 15 minutes to find a place to park (in the hospital garage, top floor). Their parking lot is horribly designed. And then 20 minutes in line. This is 11 am, not a peak time. But they only had 2 clerks on duty. There are 5 stations.

Back to work after an hour.

And when we were about to start a week-long test, boss says stop, we need to use that maxxed out machine for an entirely different test, which required me to get a jar file from one of the engineers which none of us in Test even knew existed but is in a customer's hands. And then write a batch file to fire it off every 5 minutes and save the results with a date-stamped file. That was the tough one because the date and time commands on the PC give the data in the usual human-readable format which contains illegal characters for file names.

Got that done just in time to go home.

A couple of stops along the way, first at Verizon to swap out the Moto HD piece of crap phone with the rejuvenated Samsung Galaxy S3. Turns out I could have done it myself - it just needed the SIM and SD cards pulled from one and put into the other. Last time the nice lady did the restore-from-Google thing too, but this time the guy was in a hurry. I don't know why, there were no other customers.

Then to Walgreen's, for a new lancet injector (the Rite Aide one didn't work, and the One Touch doesn't take BD lancets) and I took a clue from hsifyppah's recent post and bought some larger guage lancets too.

Home, Velveeta and shells for dinner. Watched some of the "news".  Reset to factory the two Moto phones.

My lunch cooler still had the sandwich in it. There were muffins for breakfast and I had cup-o-noodles in the break room for lunch, watching two ping pong doubles games. They have announced another tournament, and way too many engineers are fanatic players.

The one new pill I took this morning cleared up 90% of my remaining symptoms. The second one this evening is doing its job too.

Plans for tomorrow:
Elegant stuff like changing the litterboxes
Buying bread & frozen dinners
Sell two moto phones on eBay
Tags: cats, cell phones, medical, work

  • Garbage Day

    Up at 8, fish tank was still very cloudy. I put in more clarifier chemicals, but that made things worse. All my small fish are dead, during the day…

  • Score!

    After breakfast I got in the car and punched in CVS, and it showed me one not too far which I had never been to. Turns out the trip there got me a…

  • Unplugged

    Breakfast was a banana and half the bowl of watermelon. Then I took that bowl, the cantaloupe bowl and honeydew bowls and the little container of…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded