Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

He Had A Hat

Wanted to sleep till 9, but Domino woke me up at 6:30, a rare occurrence, so I checked my blood sugar and it was 108, a little lower than I want to be, though not in panic range. Had a scoop of ice cream and went back to sleep.

Around 9 or 9:30 KCEA fired up on the radio (my weekend alarm - it's the radio station of one of the local high schools, they mostly play 1940s music except when they are broadcasting the school's sports games). The school is Menlo-Atherton High, one of the wealthiest in the known universe, and while I was doing shows at Menlo Players down the road, we usually had their students in the cast & crew. And those students were sometimes in the broadcasting program, which included them taking part in reading radio plays from that era. I loved listening to those. Unfortunately, the person in charge of the station went into "get off my lawn" mode and dropped that program, but they still play good music.

Had a lot of little things to take care of, including walking to the apartment office to pick up a package. There were two. One from my Baltimore sister (she warned me something was en route) and one from ancestry.com. My sister sent me a cute t-shirt with pictures of a lot of musical instruments on it and the text "plays well with others". And an amusing drinks cup which is a replica of a telephoto lens. It's amusing, but since the bottom is the narrow end, it may tip over easily when filled. The "shade" is also the cover, but they didn't make it with screw ridges, so it's easy to knock off.  I'll probably just put the cup on my desk at work for show. Right now I have about a dozen coffee mugs there from places I have visited, mostly Starbucks mugs.

About noon I finally packed up the Nexus and the camera and drove to the park & ride, and took light rail to downtown Mountain View. A good move, the place was packed for the street fair. It was huge this year. All the way from the start of Castro Street to El Camino, booths side by side on both sides of the street. Not quite a mile. The whole Wells Fargo parking lot was a kiddie area, with all kinds of bouncy houses, slides, a climbing rock, bungee bouncing, and this amazing thing where the child is inserted into a large plastic globe which is inflated and sealed, and slid into a huge pool of water.

The kiddie area used to be on one of the side streets, all of which were closed for a block in both directions from Castro. But unlike other years there were no food trucks, and only two or three food vendors on each side street. Possibly on purpose because Castro Street is restaurant central for Silicon Valley. One thing I saw is far too many restaurants which were there 3 years ago are no longer there. The best Thai place is now Mexican. Double Rainbow ice cream has gone through a few changes and is now a European bakery and Greek grill. Lots of changes, but very few empty storefronts.

There was a lot of eye candy, but not as much skin as I expected from a sunny 93° day. My walk started well, a few feet ahead was a woman wearing a floor-length shift made of a clingy material, and when she walked it stretched and became translucent, showing off her thong and very attractive bottom. It was also awkward taking photos because there wasn't much room between the path between the booths and the sidewalk.

On one of the side streets I bought a turkey leg and lemonade, and found a seat in the shade where I could sort of watch the big screen Comcast set up showing the Oregon football game. The turkey leg was overdone, I only ate half, but the lemonade was good.

I have been looking for a hat with a soft wide brim and perforated crown (baseball caps don't work for photography) but the ones I have seen online were $90 or so. Found just what I was looking for, in my size, at the fair, for $20. WIN!

I kept hydrated and took my time walking the length of the fair and back, stopping at the Greek place for baklava when I felt Hgl going low. It was soggy, which is a major FAIL. At 4 I was at the light rail station, apparently I had just missed the train by 8 minutes, the next one was at 23 after. But the train was in the station and air conditioned so not a bad place to wait. 

Back to the park and ride, and then home to the air conditioned apartment. There were 6 college football games to surf, so I did that before, during and after dinner. After he finished his treats, Kaan jumped up on my lap and head butted me a bit, finally jumped up to the top of the recliner and pwned that. Somewhere before then I had grabbed Domino and trimmed her claws, she had been getting them caught on things. She didn't hardly resist, but jumped right off when I was done and hid in the computer room. She's still here, curled up in a corner, asleep. Snoring from time to time. Last time I looked, Kaan was at the top of the tall cat tree.

I did the ancestry.com DNA test and got it sealed and ready to mail. Also filled out my annual "how far do you drive to work one way/how many miles do you drive per year" survey. I have put 3k miles on the car since I bought it May 21. That's about on track for 12k per year, but much of that was two trips to Morro Bay, much more driving than usual. So I'm guessing 10k.

List my S3 phone on eBay, also the Toyota original radio and one of the in-dash units too.
Watch football
5 pm meet Janice for coffee to hear about her trip to Fiji and the sudden death while she was away of the father of two children she often babysits. I'd met him and his ex (mother of the kids) many times at Janice events, and at the park. He was way too young for a heart attack, I thought, but Janice says there were heart issues from his childhood. He was very Type A, which didn't help.
Tags: car, cats, faire, food

  • 8/3/21

    Ensure for breakfast - my last bottle. The plan is to make smoothies from now on. I ran the cutting board (plastic) and blender washables through…

  • An attempt at brevity

    Delivered: a wi-fi enabled table fan A dozen filters for the cats' water fountain a replacement for the access panel on the side of the house…

  • Short because nothing happened

    Tried SlimFast for breakfast but it tastes like chalk so now it's in the trash bin. Wanted to pour them out and recycle the botles but they seal each…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded