Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

Plan A, Finally

After carrying them around all week, it finally sunk in that I did not have any need for my keys, so I put them in my backpack aka luggage.

Swim suit, Hawaiian shirt, socks & tennis shoes, with only my room key card in the shirt pocket, beach towel over my shoulders and sun hat on my head,went to the beach. Took off shoes & socks and went wading in the ocean until I couldn't feel my feet.

Sat in the shade under the pier, enjoyed to ocean, and kept wondering why I couldn't just sit here and enjoy the sunshine & white noise and occasional eye candy. A surfer answered that for me, indirectly. This one guy in orange trunks, shirtless, on a full sized board sat for many minutes at a time, waiting for a wave, and rode each one for the 10 seconds it was alive. Over and over again. He was still there an hour later. I just don't have that kind of concentration, or ability to stick to a routine task.

I can't really force myself to enjoy myself just sitting. After about 90 minutes I walked back to the motel, changed into cutoffs and a T-shirt, went back across the overpass to the pier and had lunch at the restaurant there.

The clam chowder in a bread bowl was okay, the way overpriced seafood pasta bowl was a total WTF.Could not taste the crab slivers because they were caught in the cooked spinach leaves. Speared what I thought was fish, but it was a slice of artichoke heart. There were enough slices to build two artichokes. The scallops were baby baby ones, overcooked. there was also rehydrated dried shrimp. Pinwheel pasta was undercooked slightly, everything was lightly touched by alfredo mist. And the shaved parmisan on top never got hot enough to melt.

Walked down the promenade slowly, stopping often in the small dollops of shade, because there were a lot of bikini clad women on the beach. There were a lot more people in general on the beach than there have been for the rest of the week. Friday early adapters I guess.

There was zero surf when I began my walk, but by the time I got parallel to the mob of surfers, there were small waves. But it was like the ski slopes - bunny slopes. Safe for children - and there were many with and without adults - and a lot of women. I got a few photos, but won't look at them till I get home to the big PC.

Just hung out along the beach all day, wandered back to the motel at about 5, changed again into swim trunks and went for a dip in the pool. Had it all to myself. Warm water, 6 to 8 feet in the deep half. Very relaxing.

Changed again, walked down the block to Barrelhouse 101, a local place where they had the World Series on three screens, and KC scored their final 2 runs as I watched. Not happy. Hopefully the Royals' pitching will return to opening day form.

Had the short rib poutine, which was much better than expected. Shredded beef on top of mushy fries, topped with some kind of crumbly cheese and the gravy was served on the side. Had the bread pudding for dessert, huge scoop of vanilla ice cream on top almost disguised the fact that the pudding was way overdone, not hardly alcoholic, and pretty much the worst bread pudding I have ever had in a restaurant.

They sat me under the line of fire of a ceiling fan which was going 200mph, and I was sneezing by the time I left. It was also a lot colder outside than it has been, so I'm drinking hot tea instead of cold cola. Part of that is I finally got a touch of sunburn.

Walked back to the motel, and here I am.

All I have to do to pack is throw all the dirty clothes into the backpack,

Plans for tomorrow:
Finish packing
Check out by 10:15 and walk to the train station. It's 20 minutes, but there's no real alternative. Pacific Surfrider to Santa Barbara and Coast Starlight to San Jose. Light rail to Fair Oaks and walk the last mile home. Should be home by 10. 


  • Renn Fair & Football

    Spook started the night curled up next to me, but that didn't last long. Got up with the alarm as planned, banana breakfast and morning drugs,…

  • Renn FAIL

    The Renn Faire was from 10 am to 10 pm today, so I figured I could sleep in and get there around 11, but the water was turned off in the neighborhood…

  • To-do list and then some

    Another night with fewer trips to the loo. Spook did not stay on the bed very long. Easy to see why - when the lights came on my blanket was 3/4 off…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded