Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

They lied

The weather report was excellent, so Plan A was put into effect. 7 minutes into the trip, I turned back because my state fishing license was still hanging on the office door at home, which is where I keep it in plain sight/easy reach so I won't forget it. Got to Lake Chabot about 11:40, bought a regional park fishing day tag, and walked to the first fishing pier which they had said on their FB page Sunday was back in business. It wasn't. It was floating, it looked safe, but they had it blocked off.  Walked to the next one, similar story except it did not look safe. Kept walking, it was clear that those were the only piers accessible from that side of the lake. Looked out across the lake, and saw the same situation on the two fishing piers there.

Parked on a bench overlooking the lake, had a sandwich and some water, and set up my rod with some swivels, a weight and bait.

I found the same spot on shore I'd fished from last time. The water was a little bit higher, but not much. A fellow with an Eastern European accent was packing up, he said he had been there for 3 hours without a bite. I set up my camp chair, lost the "marshmallow" artificial bait each time I cast, so I switched to salmon eggs. After a while I added a lure and a bobber. The bobber kept the bait/lure above the weeds, something which was a major problem last time.

Long story short, once again not a bite, this time after 3+ hours, and even though there were a dozen boats and maybe 30 shore fisherpersons, I didn't see a single fish caught.

Except as I was leaving, one guy getting off a boat was showing off his one and only trout. I was a big one, but his sidekick was wheeling an empty tailgate-sized icebox.

I was tempted to rent a boat, but decided to wait out rush hour elsewhere. It took three tries to find the one on GPS in Hayward I wanted. This was my neighborhood when I first moved to Silicon Valley, and it's about as much of a dump as I remembered.  The Starbucks is fairly new, there were tables available, so I set up the laptop and played online. Lake Chabot is out of cell range, so I expected there to be email/voicemail, but none of the above.

Heading home at 6:30, it took a long time to get to the interstate because PG&E had created a major bottleneck on the main road locals use to bypass the heavy traffic. Got home a little after 7, it was still light, I relaxed on the porch some, then inside. Spook has been spooky. Very verbal, keeping farther from me than usual.

Texted boss, he had his career counselor chat today. Better experience for him than me, since he has not needed to look for a job in 17+ years. Times have changed.

My annual bonus cleared the bank. Still waiting for my severance, which was due last Thursday. Oh wait - there it is on the web site "processing". Today would have been  payday, it should have cleared. Oh well. Nice knowing it will be there soon. Email from unemployment saying there is a message. The message said I won't be getting a check this week because I made money on the 29th, which was the first day of my 2-week accounting period. Not a problem, it means I'll have a longer cushion. Before the checks run out, I could claim social security. But I hope to be employed before that.

Tonight was the night to pop Ghostbusters 4K blu-ray into the player. They didn't do any real remastering, it was clearly shot in pre-HD film, but the audio rocked. Maybe tomorrow I'll view the sister DVD, GBII. My first impression of GBI was of a more exposed Sigourney Weaver than I saw tonight,  and I had completely forgotten the EPA dick's character (he got billing before Ernie Hudson - go figure) but Bill Murray is still the no-talent no-chemistry narcissist of my first impressions. I rank him just ahead of Adam Sandler and Tom Hanks as movie personalities who only get hired again and again because they sometimes show up for work sober. Add that Stiller bozo to the list. I have friends in Hollywood who have worked with Murray, and they adore him. I chalk it up to temporary insanity.

Dinner was lasagna. The last of the thick Stouffer's ones. Dessert was a very small Safeway house brand mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwich.

Doc prescribed that diuretic, but I can't get the web site to let me order it mailed to me. I may have to drive to MV tomorrow to pick it up. If I do, I'll get the blood test done as well, and maybe the blood pressure check.

Plans for tomorrow:
Call Lowe's, yell at them for not calling to schedule the toilet delivery/installation yet
Ride my bike around the neighborhood. The weather looks to be perfect
Maybe a tiny bit of gardening - plant a new set of tomatoes, and plant some of the seeds baby sister sent. There are some square cut-outs along the carport which used to have plants, but now are filled with killer redwood chips. So
Lowe's garden center for soil & tomato plants.
And the usual job hunting chores

  • Score!

    After breakfast I got in the car and punched in CVS, and it showed me one not too far which I had never been to. Turns out the trip there got me a…

  • Unplugged

    Breakfast was a banana and half the bowl of watermelon. Then I took that bowl, the cantaloupe bowl and honeydew bowls and the little container of…

  • A pair of short shopping trips

    The usual breakfast,and some time watching Twitch streams. Unloaded the dryer. Treated the aquarium again. Changed the filters again. The water is…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded