Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

Fake-it Day

Very late leaving this morning, after a night of too many wake-ups. Spook did her too-early walk on me thing, but after trying to lead me to the kitchen she gave up and curled up back in her bed by the laundry.

Automation Guy called, I should have been stuck in traffic like him but I was still loading my lunch box.

Plugged the new MP3 player into the car, about 50GB of music loaded onto the SD card was ignored, it only wanted to play the three bloody awful demo songs pre-loaded on the internal drive. More on that later.

Got to work at a reasonable 9:15, checked to see if there was a TV in the room which matched the brand I was supposed to test. Did not see it at first, messaged Boss who said ask the guys in the next room, but they had not arrived. My contact there was a no-show today. Boss also suggested one of her neighbors but he just punted me to lunchtime and the contact in the next room. Who wasn't there. I finally found a unit, but it was not what I expected. Instead of a production TV set, it's a TV set connected by ribbon cable to a motherboard/power supply. I plugged in a keyboard to act as a remote, and saw that the firmware in the motherboard was the wrong version.

Boss' neighbor contacted me at noon, I told him what I'd found, he punted me next door again.

So I did a lot of reading and watched some videos, which after all is part of the job.

1 pm I was at the CHM where my contract rep was waiting. We walked through the new exhibits as we chatted about work and such. She bought some T-shirts for her daughters, I used my membership card to get the discount for her.

Back to the hole, Boss messages she was dentalling for the afternoon. Before she left she forwarded email to me from a distant co-worker who was asking for a second opinion on an Android app one of our partners was having a problem with. I had to dig out a particular brand of TV set, scrounge a power cable, and between a USB keyboard, the Android TV app and a lot of patience, I was able to run the test. It was pretty cool, I got to look in on an HD webcam in someone's lab far away, and play back the last 12 hours or so. Each time someone passed by the camera it marked the timeline. It was all I could do to refrain from commenting on the fashion show in my report.

The trip to CHM drained the car battery to 1/3, so at 5:30 I drove across the street to the garage and plugged in, went upstairs and plopped myself down in the cafeteria seating area. Way on the other side, two guys were juggling bowling pins. Indoors. Not far from the main entrance.

The cafeteria opened at about 6:35 (late) and by then there was a LONG line, which is silly because it's mostly a free for all in there. The menu said split pea and ham soup, but it lied, so I got curried chicken soup. It was okay but not what I was hoping for. Also took a couple of small pieces of their soggy pepperoni pizza.

People-watched for a while, went back to the car at about 7, it was charged enough to get home on.

Delivered was a pair of slip-on shoes by the folks who made the really nice half-boots. They fit nicely, plenty of toe room. Keepers. So I can add the too-small pair to the Goodwill pile.

Grabbed the MP3 player from the car and had it format the SD card, and it looks like the issue is it used NTFS which the car cannot read, so I re-formatted it to FAT32. I loaded the 78s onto the internal drive and everything else is now sliding down the USB cable into the SD card. Will see in the morning if that did it.

Plans for tomorrow:
Work, follow up on tonight's project and hopefully get to work on what I'd wanted to this morning.
Vanguard is having a webinar on IRAs I may watch.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded