Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

Back to basics

All I know is it was 8:10 when I opened my eyes. I had gotten up at 7:20 to weigh myself (<260 for the first time) and then back to bed for 10 minutes.  Overshot.

Morning stuff got done anyway, was at work almost on time, close enough to not matter. The event next door was seriously impacting the break room, so I grabbed what I needed and was outa there.

Started running some tests on the replacement box, but it stopped displaying video. Kind of confusing because some of the tests were audio only. But they always showed a picture before. Did a lot of troubleshooting and then went for lunch.

The visitors were all over the break room, being even more obnoxious than yesterday. One table started out as a conference with 4 people, but in a matter of minutes there were a dozen, taking selfies. My table was taken, and all the ones near it. I had to sit at a high table. Hate those. A lot of engineers like to stand while they work/eat. Not me. 

There was one very pretty woman sitting at the other high table, but she was behind me so I only got a little glance.

Tuna salad sandwich. I need to make another batch this weekend. One more left for tomorrow.

Tangerines & grapes again. Reading a new book. The one I just finished was at a teaser point, and had I liked the second book enough I would have bought the 3rd, but the second book was everything I hate about fantasy writing - the author kept changing the rules, and pulling new ones out of her ass. Oddly enough, the book I've switched to has a similar setup.

Back to the hole, I called in the engineers next door, and they were surprised by what the box did, but after 10 minutes the lead came in with his laptop, plugged in a serial connection, entered a single command, and it was fixed. Sort of. It played video, but instead of HDR-10, it played DolbyVision, which I did not know it supported.  

Since we talked yesterday, Boss did not come down to sync.

Looked up my new server order, it has been approved, and assigned to someone in the tech group. Maybe tomorrow I'll get email from her.

Called my Baltimore sister when I saw they had an earthquake. Turns out it was only about a 5, and in Delaware.

Wrapped up the bugs which I was checking out on the Bzzt box, and put the one in place Boss gave me. Found an issue right off with the remote, but I've seen it before. Some TVs have a 2-phase remote. Normal buttons work on IR, but to use the built-in microphone it needs to be paired as a bluetooth device.

But unlike lots of STBs, it had a USA tuner so I could get about 50 channels on it. Makes for a longer test. Why is it that I always seem to fire up the TV during Dr. Phil?

Set up an overnight test, and it was time to go home. Traffic was slow and stupid.

Stopped off at Grocery Outlet in hopes of scoring some more cat treats and a heavier food bowl for Zoe, who had knocked her paper bowl to the floor, but they had neither. So I settled for peeled garlic, yellow onions and mushrooms. Also got the one thing on my list, 1-qt freezer bags.

Home, Facebooked, started replay on tonight's football game, dinner was HC Beef merlot steamer. They do a good job with that. Mangoes and walnuts for dessert.

Re-charged all the sodastream bottles. Made diet cola, diet orange, diet ginger ale and soda water.

Got an invitation to join a photo shoot with the studio I've been shooting with lately, and it's a model I'd love to shoot, but I have tickets for a show that afternoon.

Got the Jam speakers back in their boxes to return to Best Buy. Opened the Sonos speaker box which I hadn't unsealed and put RMA barcodes in both boxes. I'm sure they are fantastic speakers (heavy is good for sound quality) but I need something which has a small footprint and I can easily carry from the bedroom to the shower in the morning for 10 minutes. I think I found something online but I want to wait till the credits are issued.

One of these days I need to put my AT*T phone on eBay.

Plans for tomorrow:
Thought about going to BestBuy since it's near work, but better to handle that when traffic is more sane Saturday.

  • Sick Transit Inglorious Monday

    At work just after 9, sent the usual over-the-weekend test update to the team, then opened a calendar item from boss' boss' boss. 10 am, same time…

  • I Thought It Was Friday

    Don't know why, but when I woke up this morning I thought it was Friday, and dressed like Jay Lake in honor of his birthday. Hawaiian shirt,…

  • Fun With Slates

    This morning started with a wee bit of WFH, just enough to download ffmpeg from the company-blocked site, try it out, read enough of the html docs to…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded