Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

It's late But I don't Have To Get Up Early

Slept well, I don't think I even woke up for a pit stop. New meds are working.

It was 33° outside, the memorial was going to be in a San Francisco crematorium chapel which is not heated, and it's a 100+ mile round trip, so I called in sick. Luckily my email reached my friends before they set out for the memorial.

Just coincidentally, while chasing Zoe across the top of the bookshelf last night, I saw an old jewelry box in which I used to keep foreign and collectible coins, and for the first time in at least 3 years peeled the tape off and dumped out the contents. Found this pin, two of them, in fact, which I had forgotten about having:

I was a member of the Norcal RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteers) board for 10 of those 20 years, and its newsletter editor for 5. I left the group around 1997, when they voted to require all Norcal members to also belong to the national group. At that point, two of our board members were on the national board, but it was made up more of supporters than actual Peace Corps alumni. Some wannabe lawyer started it. I think his story was he was impressed by PCVs when he was big game hunting. I could be wrong.

Lenore was the second board member and friend who has passed away, that I know of. I went to Phil's memorial, which was at the community center for the retirement community he and his wife lived in.

I'm wearing one of the T-shirts which Lenore helped get designed and sold.

But I digress.

Spent some quality time with Zoe, but she is still scared if she sees/hears Spook outside the door.

Spook is also acting strange, more vocal, hanging around that door, following me but keeping her distance, curling up on the floor by the wall in the livingroom, etc. Begging for treats and then not eating them.

Did some weeding, watered the roses, which are growing leaves like gangbusters. One of the Thai lime trees on the porch looks like it wants to be recycled, except for the two branches which have buds on them. It's winter, I'll wait.

There were 5 more packets of Ghirardelli brownie mix, and I had just bought a right-sized (8x8) pan, so I made a batch without the cannabis. Put the walnuts on top instead of mixing them in. They came out great. I made sure not to destroy them by not cutting them till they were cool.

Watched a lot of Olympics skiing and snowboarding and was jazzed that the little Korean guy won silver and the girl who had surprise won a gold in skiing also won a gold snowboarding. The commentators were all shouting about how this is the first time a woman has won winter gold in two different sports, but frankly the skills look the same. Kind of like winning races in two kinds of cars.

No PTI on weekends.

My friend Nancie McDermott posted she will be on Hallmark's Home & Something morning show for the 4th time, March 14, so I set the Tivo to record it.

Emailed my cat counselor at HSSV that I'm looking to re-home Zoe, and she surprisingly replied that they might take her back. Their "intake" group emailed a link to the application form, which I printed, filled out [by hand :-( ] scanned and emailed back. Since I adopted her from them, they already had all the medical info they normally need sent in. And now I wait. They said 48 hours, so I'm guessing Tuesday at the earliest, probably later. If at all. Meanwhile Zoe is listed on 4 adoption sites as well. 

7 pm, drove to MV and The Pear Theater, got there way too early, but that meant I got a good seat in what turned out to be a full house. Improv, a huge troupe - I forgot to count, but about a dozen. I was in an improv group in college, we had about 6 at any one gig, and that seemed to be ideal. The Pear's group had one stand-out person, three others who held their own, and the rest all had their moments, but not as many as they could have. One guy looked like he did not get the memo on any of the routines.

Two sets of essentially tag team skits, an hour each. Free chocolate cake & champagne after.

Home at about 10:30.

Dinner was corned beef on rye with a small dab of mashed, and Chinese mustard since I had no horseradish.

Watched the 6 o'clock news. Still with the fires. Fires are easy to cover, they come in on the scanner, they are easy to spot, and there is always a chief to talk to the reporter.

Plans for tomorrow:
Sleep in (what else is new?)
Goodwill - drop off bath mats and shoes, and maybe the baby gates
Maybe shoot some garden photos with a macro lens
5:30 coffee with Janice a block from The Pear

  • Happy returns

    To johnnyeponymous! Missed the planned free breakfast because it took too long to schedule a urology appointment with a phone bank rep…

  • Cable foo, meals delivered. PCP appointment, microwave delivered

    This morning I stripped the bed and replaced the dark blue bamboo sheets with white floral microfiber. Spook did not help, but she spent most of the…

  • I'm a waiter

    Got up and dressed in plenty of time for my 9:30 am appointment with the contractor. But he didn't show up or respond to my text. Will call another…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded