Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

Screwed by being early

In short, I got to the DMV at 10 for my 10:40 appointment.* And at 4:30 for a 5 o'clock meeting at Hole 2.** Both were mistakes.

*DMV: Good thing because all the parking was taken up by the long line of people without appointments, I had to park 2 blocks away WTF is a DMV office doing in a residential neighborhood?

5 minute wait to be screened outside the building (they had a table & 2 reps set up there). Got in line behind about a dozen people, including an entire 5-member family whose Middle Eastern Dad needed to hold all the paperwork and they were only there for their adult daughter. After 10 minutes more, the rep chased me away, she said come back at 10:30 earliest. So I waited and came back. The other rep processed my paperwork and gave me a number F068. They were currently serving F030. And G40. And A 12. And B7.

Numbers were called in order for each letter, but the letters came up randomly.

My number was called at 11:40, on the other side of the building.

The nice lady was personable, but not particularly efficient. It took another 5 minutes to find out that because my license was not due to expire for more than 60 days, I had to take the test.


Logic says if I am there before my license expires, I should be covered by the last test. If I had waited till September, I would not have to take the test. I'd wasted too much time to try this again in 2 months, so she directed me to the line for a photo and the test. That line was only 5 people deep, about 5 minutes.

The test was on a computer, started out as touch screen then needed mouse clicks. Easy to read, well-designed but I failed the first time because I chose the more cautious answers to 4 questions. 3 wrong is the limit. Photo guy said wait 2 minutes and take it again.

I waited 2 minutes by my phone's clock, but it said to wait 2 minutes. So I watched the boring instructional video. Passed the second time, very few repeat questions.

Back in a longer line, 10 more minutes just to sign the temp license.

12:10, on the road to work.

No aircon in The Hole, a note from facilities said they sent someone at noon and it was fine. Lies. It was way hot by then, and the HVAC unit outside was silent.

Plowed through a bunch of tests, they all passed. NP asked me to double check a couple of hers, she had installed a new build this morning which broke her tests. They worked on my machine with yesterday's build.

Lunch at 1-ish, beef & 5-grains. But middle sister called, so I had to wait to scarf it down.

Back to The Hole, Boss had mistakenly sent a sync calendar item for 3:30. I messaged her, she verified that the meeting was at 5, for the Asia guy. No sync.

** 4:30 I drove to Hole 2,  parked next door where I could plug in my car, and sat on the patio with some caramel corn and waited for the gang to show up.

They never did.

Found Boss & NP and a bunch of people I didn't know in a meeting room upstairs. Not a meeting I was invited to.

Boss came out in a few minutes to sync, and gave me an assignment to write up my tests for Asia Guy, which meant going back to the Hole for an hour instead of home. Saw a message sent 3 minutes to 5 canceling the meeting.

The car battery was down to 10% so I drove to Pear Ave Google and plugged it in, and grabbed something resembling dinner. Much eye candy. Home at 7:20, traffic was slow on 101 all the way, but I lucked out with a green light at the IFH.

Home, had some ice cream, shot up some extra insulin and took a nap.

Message from new finance person asking about my unemployment between Arris and Google. Not really an issue since I didn't miss any payments for anything what with severance, social security and unemployment insurance.

Watched PTI and a few minutes of the other sports show.

Re-arranged things around the coffee table so Spook was more accessible and not lying on top of a speaker wire. This meant adding an HO train set to the laundry room counter pile for Goodwill, and throwing away a box of hardware for roof mounting a TV antenna. It also meant a lot more fighting. She's now back on the small tree where she belongs.

Changed the laundry room litterbox and Spot immediately made a dump on it the size (and smell) of New Jersey. He doesn't get it that scratching the side of the washer will not cover up his mess.

Plans for tomorrow:
August Fool's Day - flip the calendars
Escalate the aircon ticket
Call BofA - 3 weeks later where is my $2k???
Try for a manicure appointment
Home, maybe label the photos


  • Family visit, football and needy cats

    Oatmeal on potatoes with a side of scrambled eggs was the pre-made breakfast. Very filling. The eggs needed cheese. Read all the news, won a game…

  • Got a lot done for a quiet day

    Last night before bedtime Spook ran into the shower and started making noises I do not think I've heard from her before. Like confused whining. Turns…

  • Face-off

    Set Alexa to wake me at 6 am, and glad I did because it was a rare 2 hours from the last bathroom trip. Did all my morning stuff, heated up a…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment