Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic

12:20 am and it's only getting later

Pardon me while I wash the honey out of my beard.
Done. And took my meds as well. The honey was from baklava which I bought this morning. More on that later.

Restless night, but when I woke up Spook was under my hand. But she was gone as soon as I flipped the covers off. She headed for the kitchen while I headed for the bathroom.

Dressed and medicated, BP was way high, Hgl was low-ish.

Checked in online, confirmed Whole Foods was open at 7 (it was now 8) hopped in the car and headed to the one across the freeway from Levi's Stadium.** Soon there will be a closer one, downtown Svale.

Walked to the back where the chicken butcher is. He said all the chicken skin was gone, and since the store was practically empty, there wouldn't be any more any time soon. Customers have him pull the skin off for skinless meat, but there was a goodly supply of naked chicken already. Thighs with skin on was going for $4-something a pound. Obscene.

Elsewhere, they wanted $5 for 2lbs of strawberries and also for a box of mochi.

Next stop, Grocery Outlet. Bought three packs of thighs, turned out to be 22 pieces, for $21. $1.14/lb. Also three boxes of mochi, $4 each. Strawberries $4 for 2 lbs. And baklava and marinated artichoke hearts.

I had parked by a charger, but it was broken. :-(

** actually, before I drove anywhere I cleaned off the appropriate bits and placed the commuter decals on the car.

Home, staged the kitchen area for making greeben. From one of the recipe sites: Gribenes or grieven (Yiddish: גריבענעס‎, [ˈɡrɪbənəs], "scraps"; Hebrew: גלדי שומן‎)
The Hebrew transliterates as Gloree Shoman. The Glory of Fat.

First step: Cast iron skillet on the stove
Next step: Recipe on the tablet
- pulled the skin off each of the 22 thighs, using a scissor to harvest as much fat from the thighs as possible
   The skins went into a medium plastic bowl and the naked thighs were tossed into a very large plastic bowl, both in the sink
Did this in two shifts, with time out to do things online like look at Houston's mass transit system
- put the thighs in 3 1-gallon ziplock bags and laid those flat on a shelf in the freezer.
- cutting board - sliced a big onion into rings, quartered some peeled garlic
Washed my hands and took another break

Made a small salad, ate it watching metal detector guy, my usual storm chaser's ride home from work, and two guys actually chasing a tornado warning in Salina, KS from different directions.
Nuked a teriyaki beef steamer bowl for lunch

- Tried to slice the skins into smaller bits with my chef's knife. No go. Tried my Chinese cleaver, very little progress. Finally used my kitchen scissors which did great, but it meant snipping almost all 22 skins into 3 pieces by hand. Took 20 minutes.
- Followed the recipe - heated up the skillet, tossed on 2 Tbsp water, then a layer of skins.
- 10 minutes, stirred the skillet, added an onion section
- Every 10 minutes, tore myself away from the PC and stirred the skillet.
The recipe said this might take 40 minutes to an hour. It took 50 for the first batch, 40 for the next, 30 for the last one.
- After each batch was done, plucked out the solids and then poured the fat into a small preserve jar via a funnel and a strainer. Filled it 3/4 of the way with the first batch, put the jar in the fridge, filled a second, slightly larger jar more than half way with the next batch. Before the third batch was done, poured from the smaller to the larger jar, filling it. That made enough room for the remaining fat. Put both jars in the fridge.

The third batch I changed things up a little, because the recipe way didn't cook the onions enough, so I put the onions in first and the skins on top of them. More even that time.

Each batch of solids went onto a paper towel on a paper plate. Before each batch was done, transferred that to a small plastic bowl, but the 3rd batch was too much for the small bowl so I cleaned the medium bowl the skins had been in and put all the greeben in there. Nibbled a small piece each time I passed, finally put it in the fridge.

So I now have about 2 quarts of greeben and maybe two pints of schmaltz, a $100 value for $21. Plus 4 hours of work.

One of the chasers actually saw a funnel, not sure if it reached the ground.

Watched PTI and TMZ. Cued up The Bachelorette to where this week's action starts, surprisingly only 1 minute in. I'm used to 3-5 minutes of wrap-up BS.

On the way to Whole Wallets, and back, I listened to the Howard Livingston live concert CD. Need to try a higher quality recording.

Some job hunting was done, but nothing new came up, just jobs I'd already applied for.

NOAA web site says we had .01" of rain every 4 hours all day. Grand total 0.19"

Plans for tomorrow:
Shower on time - water will be off from 9 am till noon. Probably should hang out at Peet's where there's a restroom.

  • Neighborhood Watch and New PCP.

    And cam showed 2 raccoons by the back door. They aren't going under the house so I'll leave them be. Neighborhood Watch rep came to my door this…

  • It's a Wash

    After breakfast I put the kibble back out for the strays, gabbed the camera and punched the Hollywood Park into the GPS. It took me a longer route…

  • Wasted time with Humana

    Hgl was high again this morning, using high test insulin to fix it. Called Humana pharmacy, they claim that they can't fix prescriptions that the…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded