Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic
howeird

UPS, Tivo upgrade, fan FAIL

Spook joined me on the bed for a while last night. Earlier Heidi was in the corner of the bathroom again, I escorted her back to her room.

After breakfast I grabbed the thermostat and dropped it off at UPS. I was the only one in the store besides the clerk. So it wasn't so bad that I had to log into Amazon on the new phone to get the RMA code.

Albertson's for staples. Bananas, limes, milk, whipped cream, marinated artichoke hearts, saltines, pistachio almond ice cream, OJ, Fake and real Kool Aid flavoring. They were out of Klondike bars.

Home, put stuff away. USPS email said there were two letters from the park management.

One of those letters was a rent increase, about 5%, which is obscene considering how we haven't been allowed to use most of the amenities since March.

Set up one of the "almost silent" fans and it is a total FAIL. 45 db, the same as the fans I was replacing, and it won't connect to Alexa or Google. It's supposed to but neither one says they support that brand.

The one still in the box is going back to Amazon. The other will probably find its way to the curb next weekend. And I'll write a review, of course.

Opened the Tivo and installed a 3TB drive to replace the 500GB one which ad been in there since 2014. It was a bit of a hassle because the first step was to remove a tiny torx screw and I had to rummage through drawers in the guest room closet to find something. My bits set only went down to T15, and I needed a T9. So I started with a jeweler's screwdriver, but it was tough going, the screw was in there tight, and it really needed more surface area. Another rummaging and I found a set with the right size, but when I started using it, the screw flew out and I lost it. It's either on the rug or in the sofa. Not a problem because it doesn't hold anything in place, it's just there to keep people like me from popping the lid.

The brackets were also held in by torx screws, but a size or two larger. I had one of those, put it into the electric screwdriver and got the drive out easily. Carefully took the brackets off the old one, put them on the new one, and screwed it into place. There was also the power/data connector to transfer.  

Too soon to tell if it will solve the corruption problem. But it was a royal PIA because it needed:
- Run the entire new unit routine
- Call the cable company to re-validate the cable card
- Scroll through hundreds of channels in the channel list and remove the 300 or so I didn't want 
- Find the shows I wanted to record and set those up. This was made harder because
- Pair the remote so the voice command worked (this took about an hour and several tricks from the support page)

The good news is the drive works.

Streamed for an hour but nobody chatted. There were lurkers.

While I was playing with the remote, Spook jumped onto the arm of the recliner and then my lap and was happy to be brushed and petted.

Plans for tomorrow:
Quality time with Heidi
Moth traps are due to arrive. Need them in the bathroom and the office. And probably the bedroom closet.
Thermostat is also due. Call to schedule installation when it gets here.
More Tivo setup - remove channels I don't subscribe to
Subscribe

  • 8/3/21

    Ensure for breakfast - my last bottle. The plan is to make smoothies from now on. I ran the cutting board (plastic) and blender washables through…

  • An attempt at brevity

    Delivered: a wi-fi enabled table fan A dozen filters for the cats' water fountain a replacement for the access panel on the side of the house…

  • Short because nothing happened

    Tried SlimFast for breakfast but it tastes like chalk so now it's in the trash bin. Wanted to pour them out and recycle the botles but they seal each…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 0 comments