We completely filled the long, narrow room, there was just one seat free when I got there, and they pulled in one more for another latecomer. I knew everyone at the table except two new guys, one is doing the publicity for & the other is playing the title role in their next production The Sorcerer, which will be done in mid-November in Bollywood style. Turns out sexy alum, who is an American of Chinese descent (close your eyes and she's a Valley Girl), is engaged to a man from India. I guess they are producing it.
It was very good to see old friends, and especially good to chat outside of the usual theater trappings.
After dinner I walked around downtown PA, noticed a huge number of changes, stopped in at a coffee shop and had a piece of chocolate cake I should not have been sharing the same planet with.
Some of the changes:
- A huge number of Persian rug stores. At least 8. Used to be no more than two, both always "going out of business".
- All the cell phone dealers are in huge pieces prime real estate instead of tiny storefronts. One is where Stacey's Books used to be.
- Magnolia AV (used to be hi-fi when I first knew them in Seattle) is on a prime corner
- The Japanese place on the corner of High and University is now a night club after about 8 pm. Huge mob/line blocking foot traffic outside, huge bouncers blocking the doorway. Flashing lights & women standing on tables doing shots. They still are serving full Japanese meals while this is going on.
- Burger King sold out to Pizza My Heart
- Many new coffee shops and cafes
- A sushi place has taken over World Wraps
- Many bicyclists. Too many riding on the sidewalk. Idiotic either way, University is not bike friendly.
- Small groups of Oriental students sitting on the steps and benches with the homeless beggars, chatting with them and lending moral support.
- Many women in extremely short skirts/pants/jeans showing so much leg I was tempted to become a stalker.