Got home to find the new Vista-compatible scanner on the patio. Downloaded the latest drivers & software, hooked it up, and it runs like a champ. Fast, sharp images, no hassles. So add an working, but not with Vista scanner to the spares pile.
I'll probably get around to building the spare PC in a couple of weeks. If you're interested in a fairly powerful home-built computer for about $800, let me know. Basic info:
- Intel 975 motherboard
- LAN, VGA Video, 7-channel digital audio (with SPDIF optical out) on the motherboard </li>
- SATA RAID (4-disks) available on the motherboard </li>
- Intel 2.4GHz dual core CPU
- 4GB DDR2 667 RAM (1 pair is PNY the other pair is Corsair)
- Antec case & 500W Power supply
- 120 GB IDE Hard drive
- HP DVDRW drive
- Keyboard and mouse available on request, but frankly you will do better buying your own.
- Windows XP 64-bit fully licensed
- For another $100 I'll add a 5.1 Philips speaker set.