Mister Eclectic (howeird) wrote,
Mister Eclectic
howeird

  • Mood:

Preface quotes & poetry

Some of the books and short stories I've read have a quote or a snippet of a poem just before the story starts, put there by the author as a sort of mini-preface. About 75% of the time, the quote is not familiar to me, 90% of the time it does nothing to tweak my brain in the direction the story is going to lead, and 99% of the time it's more distracting than anything. The remaining 1% of the time it's either from Lewis Carroll or Mark Twain. :-)

Comments?

I'm especially interested in hearing from published writers why they do or don't follow this tradition.
Subscribe

  • Short because nothing happened

    Tried SlimFast for breakfast but it tastes like chalk so now it's in the trash bin. Wanted to pour them out and recycle the botles but they seal each…

  • Like pulling teeth, the sequel

    1 am woke up and stumbled to the kitchen where I keep the blood glucose meter. Maybe I should move that to the master bathroom? Or keep a duplicate…

  • Very quiet Friday before the coronation

    Stayed in bed till almost 11, brunch was a cheese omelet and pieces of whole wheat toast plus a coupe of small sausages, courtesy of Mom's Meals.…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 1 comment